About Me

My photo
My writing talent is just average but I have a fun story to tell! Once in a Blue Moon is the often action packed and humorous book about life in Saudi Arabia during the 1990-91 Gulf War. My journey is full of military adventure, cultural misunderstandings and falling in love with a guy who is completely off limits.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

November 1990

Today I drove past the one story and innocuous US Army Reserve building in Lafayette, Indiana. Memories of November 1990 flood back.

I receive orders to deploy as part of Operation Desert Shield with the 300th Combat Support Battalion. They were based out of this small bureaucratic looking structure.

My previous unit was a wild, tough, bunch of former Ranger, 82nd Airborne, Pathfinder and Special Forces soldiers. They provided a very exciting, adventure filled assignment. I spent as much time bailing them out of trouble (often jail or base commander's offices) as I did commanding the unit. Later, remind me to tell you about the Korean snake dancer and my soldier who bit the head off the Korean rare mountain snake ...

My new unit, the 300th Battalion HQ has a very different culture. No adrenaline junkies in this bunch. Many of the enlisted soldiers are students at Purdue University. It is a well-educated, quirky, close knit family.

When I arrive at the HQ, I don't know any of the soldiers but quickly develop friendships with two young officers.

Two of my book charachters are loosely based on these fellow HQ newbies.

"1Lt Melissa Hart" served in the same Airborne unit but at the Company HQ. We had never worked together but airborne q'd women were very uncommon in 1990. We knew each other by reputation. "Melissa" is a smart, hard-working gal from the Upper Pennisula of Michigan. She has a great sense of humor, infectious smile and all sorts of crazy stuff going on at home. She will become a great friend in Saudi Arabia.

"CPT Kent Stevens" served as the commander of a transportation unit and recently transferred to the Bn HQ. "Kent" is a big,tall guy with a big tell-it-like-it-is personality. He is loud and unconsciously swears in every sentence. We quickly develop a bantering dialogue and a love-hate relationship as we compete for resources.

I struggle initially with the transition from command of my renegades to a HQ staff position.

Did I make a mistake by agreeing to deploy early with the HQ? Should I have stayed with my Airborne Unit who will likely deploy later?

At the time, I had no idea that this knee jerk decision to join the HQ will impact the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment